Monday, September 22, 2008

In Defense of Fruit-Wielding Maniacs

As you may be able to deduce from the headline of my blog, I am currently a college student.

On my campus, there is one major dining hall that students where students go to eat.

Many times after I have ate a meal there, I grab one or two pieces of fruit and carry them back to my dorm room. Students are allowed to do this; whether this is because of benign neglect or just a tradition, I am unsure.

It never feels quite right as I walk out of my dining hall carrying a piece of fruit in each hand. I suggested to one of my friends how bizarre I look when carrying fruit on the way back from dinner the other day. She said it would be easier if I stored the fruit in a purse!

I am just not a guy who wears a purse. I'm sure she was joking, though something tells me that she was at least partly serious.

Then she said to wear baggy pants. I imagined how people would react to that:

"I thought eating more fruit would cause you to lose weight?"

Overall, I am satisfied with the current arrangement of my fruit-transportation. I will continue to be a fruit-wielding maniac for the foreseeable future, as long as I can have the pleasure of grabbing a banana before I go to class or sitting on a wooden bench and devouring a golden apple in the shade, as a result of my efforts and the sacrifice of my self-image, or whatever is left of it.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Every time I eat at the dining hall at Allison's school (my school doesn't have one, so I have to cook) I end up leaving with a bunch of fruit. I'll usually have an apple in each pocket and a banana in each hand, haha.

Alex said...

Yes I know, we'll take all the fruit we can carry. We're shameless. Which reminds me, I should probably go eat soon...haha.