Saturday, August 30, 2008

Believe Half of What You See And None of What You Hear

I have heard recently from several people that they believe that Sen. John McCain's selection of a female running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, is patronizing to women. However, I also believe that Walter Mondale's selection of Geraldine Ferrarro was also patronizing to women under this standard. To say otherwise, I believe, would be a double standard.

Soon after Gov. Palin's selection, I heard several TV commentators say that Obama's running mate, Sen. Joe Biden, will have to "take it easy" on Gov. Palin "because she's a woman". That attitude in and of itself is far more patronizing than any past or current action by candidates McCain or Mondale.

I am loosely a feminist, I guess. I'm for female equality; but I refuse to advance female superiority. By that sarcastic statement, I mean that if women want to be really equal, they must take the same treatment that men do. I think Biden should go after Palin, with everything in his arsenal. It's only fair. That's what he would do to any male candidate. Real equality cannot allow itself to be obscured beneath a facade of chivalry.

In lighter news, I went to the zoo today! I saw lions and tiger and (pandas). It was fun, a glorious day, though I wish it hadn't been so hot so more of the animals would have come out.

Zoos are sometimes depressing, though. When the animal enclosures obviously aren't large enough, one feels great sadness for the animals. It's a strange feeling for me, I don't care that much about animal treatment, but I can't help but wonder. By the way, read the book "Life of Pi" by...well, search for the title and you'll find it. Amazing book, excellent comparison of animals in zoos and people in society, which is such a great comparison to make, because people are animals, after all.

I was listening to Marvin Gaye's song "What's Going On?" earlier. Marvin Gaye is a great artist. This particular song though, it's really a protest song of the Vietnam war. And I was thinking, about how much protest music was written during Vietnam, and how embraced it was in popular culture. As unpopular as the war is now, I can't imagine that many people either writing or listening to protest music about the war in Iraq. Our culture has changed, and I'm not convinced that it's gone in a positive direction. It's one of many sad notes, and it's even sadder that it's been silenced.

No comments: